Thursday, November 5, 2009

Blog November 5th


 Today in class we worked with students from opportunities unlimited. In a small group we were able to take the student around campus and work on our video/ picture project. Myself and Kristin worked with Lisa. She was so much fun and energetic. When we got back to the classroom we worked together in different stations. The different stations were story telling, play doh, building a fort, and intelligence. We were not able to do all the stations but we did the play doh and the fort. Lisa really enjoyed both. When we played with the play doh she loved talking to us about herself and learning about us. She also seemed to enjoy building the fort because she liked our team work and loved working with everyone.

My experience with Lisa was amazing. I was extremely nervous about meeting my student and was not sure what to expect. I noticed that although Lisa had a disability she was no different than anyone else. She acted and talked almost as if she had no disability. After meeting Lisa and spending time with her my nerves lifted and I became so comfortable. I felt almost as if I was just spending time with a friend!

Chapter 11 talks about students who have trouble seeing. On page 367 in our text there is a statistic that I found interesting. "Measures of social maturity and cognitive development showed delay." I was not able to spend time today with a student who vision is impaired but I could see how it would be difficult for a student who has these obstacles. The activity where we were able to go all over campus and make a film or take pictures in order to make a slide show would be very difficult for that student. Because they would not be able to take the picture or film part of their film it would frustrate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment