To be an effective communicator during a parent conferences you have to be able to tell the parent the good and the bad. You also have to be able to listen to the parent about what the student is telling them. It is very important for you to listen to what the parents think about the class. You also have to be able to defend what it is your doing in the classroom and letting the parent know what the child does in the class.
After watching the film, Home-School Communication: The Parent-Teacher Conference, I realized that there were many more things I needed to be thinking about for parent conferences. The teacher in the film had a good amount of the students work with him already to show the parent. He showed both the positive the negative about the child's work so the parent knew what she had to work more on. There were times when the parent had talked about how the student was feeling when she came home. Not everything she mentioned was positive but the teacher not only addr
essed those problems but he also talked about positive things that do happen in the classroom.
Wadsworth Cengage Learning: Home-School Communication: The Parent-Teacher Conference.
10/28/09 at Sidway
Today in class we worked with the Asian American student again and helping her learn what the word under means. We played a few games and she seemed to have understood what it meant. She had been learning the meaning of under for a few days before I went and from my understanding she was not doing a good job with the worksheets. It is somet

imes difficult to tell whether or not she understands. I feel like she is making good progress but it seemed to me that doing worksheets are still too difficult for her to do. Most of time she can not understand anything on the worksheet and we have to show her a few examples before she has any clue as to what to do with the worksheet.
After leaving learn and serve I felt so good because for the first time I saw my student show us that she understands something and comprehends what we were telling her to do! We played a game where we told her to take a picture and put it under an object in the classroom. After she placed all the pictures under the objects we ask her to go back around, find the pictures and tell us what the picture is of and where she found it. For example, if she found the picture of a pumpkin under the red chair she has to say, "the pumpkin is under the red chair."
I know some learn and serve sites dont let us take pictures, so maybe get some off of google thats what I did for mine.
ReplyDeleteNice start here. Explain more about your thoughts on worksheets. You are on to something.
ReplyDeleteWhat is the difference between conceptual and factual knowledge?